Subject: [Leica] Do I want a 35 'lux?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon May 15 15:15:21 2006

Ric,
You want either the ASPH Summicron or Summilux or the new Zeiss offering.
The earlier 35 Summilux was just plain soft at 1.4 plus flared like crazy
wide open.  The earlier 35 Summicrons can be quite good lenses, especially
if stopped down.  The Gen I and Gen IV are quite distinctive in how they
render images but if you want a lens that accurately cuts a negative the the
ASPH would be the ones to get.  They both deliver wide open what was only
possible at F5.6 in the earlier generations.

If you really need the speed, the Cosina 35mm F1.2 is a good performer if
you are not looking for razor sharp and has gotten fairly cheap.

You know that you want the speed and the ability to control dof, so save
your money and get the one that will work for you.

Don
don.dory@gamail.com