Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica IIIc quirks
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue May 16 19:43:23 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 9:10 PM, Ashley wrote:

> Hi there!  New to all of this and just acquired a Leica IIIc - anyone
> have any particular tips of using it? Any quirks to be aware of (I have
> already read of a few!).

The Leica IIIc is considered by many Leicaholics to be the classic LTM
camera. No nonsense about synchronized flash contacts or self timers
here. Equipped with an f3.5 collapsible Elmar, it goes where no modern
Leica can go, i.e., into a jacket pocket. With the proper care and the
right lenses it can take pictures as good as any Leica made.

However the Leica IIIc defines quirkiness. You squint through a tiny
rangefinder window, then shift your eye to a totally inadequate finder,
unsuited to any but a 50 mm lens. Twist knob film winding and rewinding
hardly facilitates speed shooting. As for loading film in a hurry,
fuggedaboudit. The camera was functionally obsolete when it was
introduced 66 years ago. Still diehard Leica fans love it - which more
or less proves that they are masochists.

As for learning all there is to know about the camera, try to find one
of the old Morgan and Lester "Leica Manuals" at Amazon.com. or at any
old book store. Try to get a copy issued in the late 40s or early 50s,
before the Leica domain was contaminated by the introduction of the M
series cameras.

Incidentally, I own 3 of these cameras and have a perverse love affair
with them.

Larry Z