Subject: [Leica] Re: Codes of privacy
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu May 18 15:46:38 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 3:13 PM, George wrote:

> Nope. Ken nailed it with "codes of privacy" when folks live close and/
> or with paper walls or no walls at all. The public bath/nudity/shower/
> urinal mode came from elsewhere. However each of these also carries
> codes of privacy. But I think psychologically different than the
> codes used in clothed situations.

There is a concept called "cognitive homeostasis" in Environmental
Psychology which suggests that people try to optimize their information
input and output to stay within a comfort zone. In the high density
environments of urban societies people develop behaviors which restrict
and control information flow to avoid information overload. The
seemingly unsociable behavior of New York, London, and Tokyo exists to
permit people to be in close proximity without the necessity of
acknowledging the existence of the "other." In an office, on the
sidewalk, and in school, a simple nod may be all the greeting that is
necessary when passing by casual friends. No acknowledgment is
necessary for strangers. In a low density environment, the cognitive
homeostasis theory predicts that one will amplify even casual
interactions to raise the information flow. I.e., when some asks "How
are you feeling?", you tell them at great length. Anyone who has
watched two Iowa farmers stop their pickups in the middle of a lonely
country road, roll down their windows, and carry on a conversation
knows this to be a fact.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Re: Codes of privacy)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Re: Codes of privacy)