Subject: [Leica] Re: Codes of privacy
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu May 18 16:49:51 2006

I think public bathing, or at least communal bath-houses, in Europe
was/were stopped by the Catholic Church, purportedly to stop the spread
of debauchery (people having fun) and syphilis (at the time widespread,
particularly around higher church officials), I forget quite when, but
something in the back of my memory says 13th century or earlier, or was
it later, perhaps one of the Borgias?
Douglas