Subject: [Leica] Author's permission
From: pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc)
Date: Mon May 22 23:32:55 2006

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/index.htm

> Regards,
> Sonny
> http://www.sonc.com
> Natchitoches, Louisiana
> Oldest continuous  settlement in La Louisiane
> ?galit?, libert?, crawfish

Or look here:

http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2006/03/comic_book.html

A relevant quote (used here without permission, as
a fair use):

While the treatment may be entertaining, the subject
matter -- threats to cultural history and documentary
filmmaking posed by a ?permissions culture? and the
erosion of the ?fair use? doctrine -- is serious. One
?tale? described in the comic involves ?Eyes on the
Prize,? the great civil rights documentary that was
pulled from circulation after the filmmakers? rights
to music and footage had expired. In another real-life
situation, a filmmaker is told she has to pay $10,000
to clear the rights to the ?Rocky? theme song,
captured incidentally in her footage as a cell phone
ring-tone.

?Many young artists today only experience copyright as
an obstacle, a source of incomprehensible demands for
payment, cease and desist letters, legal transaction
costs,? Boyle said. ?This is a shame because copyright
can be a valuable tool for artists and creators of all
kinds -- even for those who are trying to share their
work without charge.?

?Artists often form their impressions about
intellectual property based on rumors and one-sided
sources,? Jenkins added. ?This can lead to
self-censorship, restrictive clearance practices and
legal misunderstandings. We want to give people better
information, to encourage them to educate themselves
further.

?The ultimate goal is to bring about a more balanced
intellectual property system that enables artists to
protect their works, but also ensures the availability
of raw materials for future creation. That?s not just
an issue for artists, it?s an issue for all of us.?

Peter.
SF, CA