Subject: [Leica] I got a new toy too! (Epson V700)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu May 25 17:11:31 2006

>Bruce writes:
>>
>>  There is a comparison between the similar V750 and the 9000 at
>>  http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V750/page_5.htm
>>  Shows the Nikon is better, but how much better.
>>

>Bruce,
>
>With a file size of only '240Mb' for the 6X6 scan. The negative
>appears to have not been scanned at highest resolution. My Nikon
>Scanner produces a TIFF File of almost 553Mb when a colour slide is
>properly scanned at 16 bit.
>
>Regards,
>
>Greg

For the resolution of 4000dpi to produce a file of ~240Mb, obviously
an 8 bit file was produced. If the white and black points were set
correctly, and an appropriate tone curve applied by the scanning
software, everything that the scanner can get out of the neg _should_
be in the scan at 8 bits. Since I hardly ever get these parameters
exactly to my liking in scanner software as it's generally just too
clunky, I scan at a higher bit depth and output at 16bit, getting the
larger files. This with either the Nikon 8000 or Epson 4990.

Actual resolution is not really the issue with the Epson; dynamic
range is. For transparencies, especially slower emulsions, the Nikon
is significantly better. For colour negatives, their is no difference
as both scanners can more than handle the dynamic range of the film.
The new Epsons are again slightly better but still fall short. I scan
in the Nikon when I can, but use the Epson for all my larger stuff,
which is almost all colour neg.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design