Subject: [Leica] I got a new toy too! (Epson V700)
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu May 25 18:33:31 2006

Luis,
My original scans are usually in the 80 to 101MB range and when you get deep
in PS layers I frequently end up with files as large as 450-500MB.  I have a
relatively old 2.7gH Intel chip with 1.5GB of memory and don't have any real
issues multitasking with various other window up while working on an image.

Why have such large files?  Manipulating 16bit files keeps the image looking
better, scanning at a high dpi gains most of the detail in the image, and
you never know what you will do with an image.  DVD's are cheap and will get
much cheaper now that the new generation of storage, HD and Blue Ray, is
here and the media battles start up again.  In about a year when prices drop
I will pick the hopeful winner and start duplicating CD's and DVD's I
already have.  It will be another chance to resort the images into a more
coherent database.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com