Subject: [Leica] Re: Visual compression
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri May 26 09:56:52 2006

I'm not quite sure what '1.2 meg raw' refers to, but if it's 1.2mp
then it might be able to produce a picture that is good as far as
content, but not technically with respect to resolution. Think Minox
ISO100 pictures at 20x24". Photoshop can't produce what isn't there
in the first place.

Most of the space images depended on content for their value, and
held up next to a high megapixel image of the same thing would have
been tossed aside. When you have the first picture of anything, it's
important and people will be delighted with it. Then you go and get a
better one.

Nobody has trouble seeing the difference in quality in 16x20 prints
made from files produced with a Canon D30 (3mp) and a 5D (12.8mp)
when both are using decent lenses. A 1.2mp image can't compete.

For many purposes 6mp is more than enough; for some 70mp aren't enough.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: Visual compression)