Subject: [Leica] Hexar Part
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat May 27 16:33:51 2006

At 07:03 PM 5/27/06 -0400, Don Dory wrote:
>Zeiss Ikon essentially did the same thing when they shut down.  I don't know
>what gives with insiders, they don't think their brand is valuable?   Any
>repair center would have paid to ship the stuff to them, a place like Ritz
>or several other major etailers would love to have the whole shebang of
>stuff.  Fortunes have been made with collections of parts.  One of our local
>repair centers made a blooming outrageous amount of money when they cornered
>the battery door market for A series Canons, until someone knocked the part
>off and undersold them.

In the US, the Zeiss Ikon Voigtl?nder parts inventory was sold off at
fire-sale prices in 1973 to any repair shops wanting stuff.  In the end,
Wolf Umbach of Z-V Service bought the rest.  The camera inventory was all
sold to Cambridge Camera (!), who still occasionally list a NIB Contaflex
or Icarex or the like.

The Canadian ZIV inventory went through a similar process but the nubbins
were sold off to a collector who tired to sell the lot to a few of us Zeiss
types at a price we regarded as ludicrous.

The Canadian horde of Rolliflex parts were purchased by Todd Belcher when
their Canadian agency ws closed down a few years back.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Hexar Part)