Subject: [Leica] Clarification of "Lens Quality . . . "
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Sat May 27 22:53:14 2006

1. The reason I might use a loupe is that I have a print and I want to read
some detail in that print. So the question becomes how much detail is
available before it turns into grain or dots. Surely it matters about the
enlarger, etc, vs. merely printing a digital file, and surely it matters how
many dpi are put out by the inkjet printer (and the resolution of that
system... If you paper resolves 25lp/mm, that is 600+ lp/inch, I am not sure
what 1400dpi means in terms of resolution).

2. As for lenses, I find it interesting about the Canon L lenses being so
good, and it only being revealed in digital systems. If someone could lead
me to this work I would be most grateful.

3. Still, perhaps we have reached a plateau in lens quality for the price
most of us would pay, and technological improvements are not on the horizon.
I don't know. Does anyone have insights about this.

Thank you all for your comments,
Martin Krieger

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Clarification of "Lens Quality . . . ")
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Clarification of "Lens Quality . . . ")