Subject: [Leica] Re: Minox film
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon May 29 16:46:19 2006

On May 28, 2006, at 10:24 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

>> Local photo press here in Germany have announced that the company
>> producing films for Minox sub-miniature cameras is closing down after
>> 46
>> years in the business.
>> Strangely enough the article also reports that a company providing
>> Minox
>> submin processing will carry on operating - how if there's no film
>> any more?
>
> Douglas
>
> Film splitters are readily available on the market and are quite easy
> build, and many Minox users have been making their own film loads for
> decades.  For the first decade of the breed, I believe that this was
> the
> only way to have film for your camera.
>
> Marc

As a dedicated Minox user, I can certify that Marc is correct. Minox
fans split roll film into strips 9.2 mm wide and about 20 inches long
and load them into recycled Minox cartridges. If you are careful, a
roll of 120 film will make about 6 Minox reloads. A roll of 24 exposure
35 mm film will make about 4 reloads. My own film slitter cuts down 16
mm movie film.  A 100 ft. roll makes about 50 reloads. The real problem
is the supply of Minox cassettes. It is possible to use the camera
without these cassettes but the film must be loaded and unloaded in a
darkroom.

Larry Z