Subject: [Leica] High School Photo Program
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Tue May 30 07:11:04 2006

>While vacationing at Lake Erie I picked up the Sunday Sandusky Register
>and read about a two year photography program at Sandusky High School.
>It is taught by a former Register photo journalist  and concentrates on
>photojournalism and other still camera careers.  The article included
>some pretty impressive work the kids did on an assignment to
>photography the downtown park.  Am I naive, living in a small town, or
>are still photography curriculums common at the high school level?

Rob,
I teach a high school photo class that can go 2 years if the kids decide to
take it to the AP level, but this is at a Catholic school that has made an
especially strong commitment to the Arts. (because I have 20 kids to a class
and a 4 station darkroom with a sink the size of a shoebox, the course is
largely about PS) The sort of thing you're talking about is out of the norm,
in my experience, except at magnet schools and in larger cities.
Arche
Nashville

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] High School Photo Program)