Subject: [Leica] Re: Contax use
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed May 31 07:56:15 2006

At 08:55 PM 5/30/06 -0700, Frank Filippone wrote:
>There were 2 different adapters available..... One was for 50mm lenses and
it had a focusing helix ( because the Zeiss 50mm lenses
>were all fitted to the camera that had a built in focusing helix for this
purpose).  This is the more famous one and costs like
>around $350-450... I forget who made it....Orion ? ( I think Orion was the
old name for Miranda...?)

>Now the other one......
>
>A simple adapter with the Leica thread on the back side and the Zeiss
external bayonet on the front side.....  cheap and a lot of
>these were made..... some fancy, some seem home grown.  I think Novoflex
made, and still offers one of these.  Infinity focus is
>fuzzy in my memory banks.....
>
>I have an odd one..... Leica LTM lenses to Contax RF Bayonet body adapter.
   Only one I have seen......

The Orion adapters are the ones most highly sought after judging from the
market prices they bring.  The British Cook & Perkins adapters are also
highly regarded, especially the focusing model.  I recall that Wray also
made such an adapter but I have never seen one of these and only know it
from an advert in a BJP Annual from the late 1940's.  Kilfitt made another
adapter but it seems to be quite rare.  I was unaware of the Novoflex
adapter but this is quite possible, as Novoflex would and will still
manufacture adapters to special order.

I think that there is an adapter in current production in Japan but I have
only seen a discussion of this in VIEWFINDER.

I own a focusing C&P adapter which works nicely.  I also picked up a
bizarre adapter a decade or so back from a friend, a non-focusing LTM lens
to Contax RF BM adapter, about which I know nothing other than that it
exists.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!