Subject: [Leica] Re: Polar exploration
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Jun 2 10:24:56 2006

This is a long post with only minimal photographic relevance but I hope
it will correct some misinformation recently posted. I did use a Leica
camera to take many pictures in Norway, including many shots of the
Fram and Geoa, which I will post shortly. So please forgive me for
wasting bandwidth.

During a uncomfortable portion of my obligatory military service stint
I was stationed in Ft. Churchill, Canada. Winter temperatures ranged
down to 50 below zero and your spit would freeze before it hit the
ground. When it was really cold, it would explode with a loud cracking
sound before it hit. During the long winter night, our main
entertainments were shooing polar bears away from the garbage dump and
reading the books in the base library. They had a magnificent
collection of books on Artic exploration. All we needed to do to
experience the rigors of winter in the north country was to walk from
the mess hall to the barracks. Baby, it was cold outside. Fortunately
we had mechanized Snow Tracs to get around but some of the locals still
used dog sleds. About an hour of sledding in sub zero weather was all I
could handle. How the explorers could do it for 12 hours a day is more
than I can imagine. The only upside of my experience was that I learned
to cross country ski, a sport which I have now practiced for over 40
years. Why Scott didn't ski to the pole is beyond me.

Now about the use of motorized sledges on Scott's Tera Nova expedition,
Michael Barne, a veteran of the DISCOVERY EXPEDITION, had designed a
new sledge. Although these sledges failed on their initial tryout in
Norway, Scott took them with him to the Antartic, hoping to use them to
ferry large amounts of supplies to depots. He planned to use ponies to
dash for the pole, man hauling the sleds for only the final lap. The
first two motor sledges were unloaded and immediately put to work
hauling stores to the new camp. As the third, and largest, sledge was
unloaded and hauled by twenty men towards the shore, it broke through
the ice and sank in sixty fathoms of seawater.

On the initial days of transfering supplies to depots nearer to the
pole, one machine gave out just beyond Safety Camp while the other had
to be abandoned a mile beyond Corner Camp. Scott's reliance on ponies
was also misguided. The ponies would prove an equally weak link. It is
true that Shackleton took nineteen ponies with him on his NIMROD
EXPEDITION, but only four survived to set out on the journey towards
the Pole. Of these, one had to be shot at the second depot; another
gave up
at the third; and by the time they reached the foot of the Beardmore
Glacier only one was left. That one fell into a crevace. Had the
weather not been unusually mild, Shackleton would had suffered as badly
as Scott. He made the right decision to return 100 miles short of the
Pole.

Amundsen, a very experienced Arctic explorer despite his character
flaws, had lived with the Esquimos and was well acquainted with the
rigors of overland Artic travel. His use of dogs and skis was exactly
right. The final dash to the Pole was largely without incident. One of
the reasons that he was reviled in the English press is that HE ATE HIS
DOGS as the load lightened. Or rather he fed them to the remaining
dogs. Unlike Indonesians, a proper Englishman would as soon eat a dog
as a Hindu would eat a cow. I can testify that letters protesting
Amundsen's butchery still come into the London Times on the anniversary
of Scott's death.

My wife is Norwegian and comes from a sailing and shipyard family - so
every time we visit her home country we get a full rundown on the lives
and loves of the various explorers. Seems they were all a pretty
raunchy bunch, although gifted in many ways. As far as the Norwegians
are concerned, Nansen is at the top of the heap. But not for his
exploration. He was Norwegian cross country skiing champion for eight
years in a row and as an 18 year old set a speed skating record for the
mile. In Norway, ski champions are Tiger Woods, Babe Ruth, Wayne
Gretsky and Michael Jordan rolled into one. Nansen trained as a neuro
physiologist and published frequently in medical journals. He was the
first to cross Greenland on skis. He was a staunch patriot and was
instrumental in freeing Norway from Swedish domination. Nansen was
Norway's first ambassador to London. Finally he won the Nobel Prize for
his work with Russian refugees after WW1. Who cares if he bonked
Kathleen Scott, even through, at the time,  he was married and had
several children. Certainly not the Norwegians. Unfortunately he never
reached either pole.

Amundsen is grudgingly given second place in Norway's pantheon of polar
explorers although, objectively speaking, his exploration record is
significantly greater than Nansen's. He was the first to complete the
Northern Passage, drifting and sailing from the North Sea to the Bering
Strait in a boat not much larger than my own Willard motorsailer. The
boat, the Geoa is on display outside the Fram Museum. Inside the museum
is, of course the Fram. The boat that Nansen had constructed to sail to
the North Pole and Amundsen borrowed for his South Pole exploration.
Amundsen's expedtion to the South Pole was masterfully planned and
executed. More important, he succeeded while the much more elaborate
Scott venture failed. Norwegians tend to ignore the fact that he
defrauded his backers, violated his promise to Nansen, and had a very
abrasive personality that annoyed most of those who befriended him. In
1928 he died with his mucklucks on attempting to rescue the ill fated
Nobile "Italia" airship expedition to the North Pole. A fitting
passing.

Shackleton seems to occupy a unique place in the annals of polar
exploration. At least according to the Norwegian scholars I met. He is
regarded as a man of unsurpassed courage, great leadership ability but
a lousy explorer. He was blessed with amazing luck where it really
counted. As a sailor, I am most impressed with his 800 mile voyage
though the Southern Ocean in a boat that I would find unsuitable for an
afternoon trip in the Irish Sea. On the other hand, many would question
the poor planning that led to the loss of the Endurance and made such a
sea voyage necessary. Incidentally, Shackleton is not to be credited
with the amazing photos of the Endurance expedition. He wanted to
abandon the heavy glass plates and movie film. All credit must be given
to Australian photographer Frank Hurley who risked his life rescuing
the films from the sinking hull of the Endurance. He later convinced
Shackleton that the photos would be the only record of the failed
voyage.

A few years ago, my birthday gift from my kids was a coffee table book
"South with the Endurance", a beautifully printed collection of Frank
Hurley's photographs of the voyage. If you don't have it, you should
get it.

Scott is now regarded, at least in Norway, as the flip side of Amundsen
and Shackleton. A poor planner, an inept explorer, an incompetent
leader, and unlucky to boot. He is regarded as a necessary contrast to
the better qualities of the other guys. But the Brits still revere him.

Regards,

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: Polar exploration)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Polar exploration)