Subject: [Leica] Re: Mapping
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jun 3 07:14:43 2006

On Jun 3, 2006, at 8:53 AM, Frank wrote:

> I Agree with Don on the mapping concept, and telling the camera which
> lens is on the camera is the new piece of data the camera
> needs to accomplish that bit of digital imagery.  What is on the
> "chip"?  "Serial number" of the lens?  FL of the lens?  Either can
> be used to accomplish the goal.  It depends on whether the camera can
> do the mapping or if mapping is done at the factory.  A neat
> side issue on the mapping concept is that you might be able to map
> Bokeh, or even different Bokeh to the same piece of glass....
> Can you imagine putting 1932 50 Elmar Bokeh onto a 90 APO Summicron?
>
> And now, it is time to wait for the trolls of Solms and the
> programmers located somewhere else in the world ( maybe) to do their
> thing and impress us.

There is no inherent reason why mapping and software correction of a
digital image cannot be used to remove all sorts of geometric
abberations and uneven illumination. Indeed, a Photoshop plug in for
each specific lens could do the job. Some early ultra wide angle lenses
did this in an analog way by using a graduated filter to correct for
light fall off at the edges of the frame. Your eye does this by
adaptive correction of the highly distorted image on the retina. Leica
may, at last, be entering the 21st. century.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: Mapping)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Mapping - CS2 filters)