Subject: [Leica] RE: first PAW colour desaturation
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jun 2 15:48:55 2006

Hi Bradley and Tina
I have a request regarding your suggestion, Tina.

Would you expand on the rationale of your suggestion to convert to sRGB
colour space before conversion to jpg?
My understanding is that VERY few monitors can use the full Adobe RGB space
or better. I only know of one professional Eizo model, in fact. Maybe there
are others but most won't, certainly.
So it's reasonable to assume that Bradley's will be at best sRGB. Again
assuming that Bradley and other viewers have calibrated their monitors,
won't the DISPLAYED image (ignoring printing here) before and after
conversion to sRGB look the same? I'm assuming that the file is then saved
as jpg. Saving as gif, which we touched on in another thread certainly can
give a "desaturated" effect with the reduced palette.

I (thought!) I had a reasonable handle on matters colour space and bit depth
and it's important, of course. So I'd really value any further light you can
shed on this. Maybe I need to have a quiet lie down, followed by a big
Google.

Regards,

Hoppy
Down-under colour management apprentice.

Message: 13
one question-my color photos posted to lug gallery are quite
desaturated. its not my monitor as posting to other sights and printing
are spot on. has anyone had this same experience? whats your work
around? thanks in advance...bradley

------------------------------

Message: 14
>one question-my color photos posted to lug gallery are quite
>desaturated. its not my monitor as posting to other sights and
>printing are spot on. has anyone had this same experience? whats
>your work around? thanks in advance...bradley

Convert them to sRGB first before you save them as jpegs. Be sure you
actually convert and don't just assign the profile.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] RE: first PAW colour desaturation)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] RE: first PAW colour desaturation)