Subject: [Leica] Senegal
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Mon Jun 5 05:08:09 2006

Thanks, Don.
As to the doing it again part, I might, but probably would organise
things a bit differently as I explained to Tina already: arrive some
days before the actual shooting, do some scouting, and then do the
shooting. Afterwards, I'd return to interesting spots I noticed while
shooting, but didn't have the time to cover.
Another thing though, which I mentioned already just after returning
and posting the first image:
I seriously doubt if I'm made for the PJ trade. In my mind, a PJ is
somebody who maximizes his shooting results, for the simple reason
that if he doesn't, he will not have enough time to look at all the
pictures he made, select the ones with potential, recrop them and
work them in PS till they're acceptable.
This is what I had to do to get this result: after the shoot, it took
me 3 evenings (I have a day job) to go through all my shots, to make
a selection of about 150 photos (just over 10% of the total). Then it
took me about 1 more week to do the cropping, PSing etc on this
selection. My final selection (still no very severe judging) resulted
in some 65 photos. Severe selection would turn out some 15 or 20
shots, I think. Not very much for all this work...
Mind you, I liked the whole process, and it was an unique experience
for me, but if I would have been doing this as a real PJ, I think my
final images would have been in largely overdue :-)
So I enormously admire these guys that have little time to deliver,
and succeed in turning in shots that are (extremely) good just as
they are, without cropping, without dodging and burning, etc, because
there is just no time to do all that.
Conclusion: I just might not be efficient enough.
Leaving for a grand reportage long assignment style might be more
what I can deal with: I imagine this to coincide more with my
'nature', and think it is a different working method compared to PJing.

Op 5-jun-06, om 00:17 heeft Don Dory het volgende geschreven: