Subject: [Leica] Re: Brass strap rings
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Jun 7 14:51:44 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 2:01 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> If not brass, then a metal as soft or softer than
> brass would work? Any ideas?
>
> --- "Arche, Harvey" <Harvey.Arche@jp2hs.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't think you really want brass split rings.
>> It's too soft of a metal and they would tend to pull
>> out straight under very little tension- not good.
>> Arche

Think out of the box. I've had good luck using large brass fishing
snaps They come in a variety of sizes and are available at most
sporting goods stores. The snap opens like a large safety pins and is
attached to a swivel. I sew a pair of snaps to 1" wide lengths of nylon
tubular tape to make custom straps for camera equipment. The ones I use
are sized for 50 lb. fishing line. If I get more than a 50 lb. pull on
the camera, I'd rather lose the camera than strangle or break my neck,
whichever comes first.

Larry Z