Subject: [Leica] Re: Enlarging with camera lenses
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Jun 7 14:21:36 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 1:36 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> I though enlargers needed flat field (enlarging lenses) and did rather
> poorly with camera lenses?
>
> Walt
>
> p.s.Marc will know
>
> Frank Filippone wrote:
>
>> Could be, but I have never heard of putting a 35mmm or 85mm Contax
>> lens on an enlarger... a 50, yes.
>>
>> Most likely a Contax lens to Leica ( or other) adapter for close
>> ups.....
>>
>> Frank Filippone
>> red735i@earthlink.net

Leica advocated using its 50 mm camera lenses on both the Valoy and
Focomat enargers. I quote from the 1947 edition of the Morgan and
Lester "Leica Manual."

For the Valoy - "The focusing lens mount will accommodate the various
Leica lenses. The 50 mm lenses (except the Xenon f1.5) are recommended
for use in this enlarger."
For the Focomat - "The Focomat Ib enlarger can adapted for use with any
50 mm Leica lens except the Xenon f1.5."

Indeed, the 50 mm Leica lenses were so commonly used as enlarger lenses
that the 39 mm Leica thread mount became the defacto standard for
mounting enlarger lenses of all makes. I used my 50 mm Elmar as an
enlarging lens for years. Stopped down to f5.6 or f8.0 it works as well
as any other enlarging lens I have used. My current Fuji 50 mm
enlarging lens works slightly better at wide apertures but still
retains the 39 mm mount. The LTM 35mm f.3.5 Summaron works well as an
enlarger lens for big blowups or for enlarging 1/2 frame negatives.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Re: Enlarging with camera lenses)