Subject: RE [Leica] Chatter about digital M lenses
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Jun 7 17:14:41 2006

Doug has accurately highlighted that the performance difference for
converted lenses won't be known (or the camera of course) until the hardware
is in circulation.
I'm also enjoying the speculation and finding it extremely interesting. I
also thought there was quite a bit of useful info in the Leica news release
and the accompanying image on the site.
Don't forget I get royalties if the camera is labelled MD as that was my
speculation!

So we now have more facts (to base our speculation on)
My summary would be:
The only lens in the current range that will not be given a 6-bit coding is
the LEICA APO-TELYT-M 135 mm f/3.4. It is not codable later, either, as its
extension factor of 1.33 makes it unsuitable for use on the planned digital
M camera. (Yet the Elmarit-M 135mm f/2.8 Black 11829 1963-1997 can be
converted)
The conversion won't optically affect your lenses.
The camera firmware will alter the sensor output based on the binary number
representing the lens model. This information is also retrievable from the
EXIF data.

WARNING WARNING personal opinion, extrapolation and rampant speculation
follow:
The mapping (?) from the camera firmware will be identifiable/optional in
the RAW or DNG file
Most of your M lenses will do just fine without the conversion.
The conversion will consist of replacing the bayonet flange.
Tom Abrahamsson and other revered Leica technical Titans will figure a way
to do it faster and cheaper.
As long as you can buy film, you can ignore the whole thing if you choose.
You can still buy the M7 or MP new and the current lens range. If you buy a
new lens with the 6 bit bayonet flange it won't give your beloved M3
DigiHIV.
The MD camera will do a better job than the Epson,
Although Cosina's president has stated he is not interested in getting into
the digital arena with its low profits, huge R&D and short model cycles,
Zeiss will cooperate with him to release a ZI RF "ZID"
It will be cheaper
Pro's will ignore the Leica MD
It'll cost too much
We'll want one anyway