Subject: [Leica] Re: Enlarging with camera lenses
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 8 07:22:15 2006

In a message dated 6/8/2006 8:11:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
bdcolen@comcast.net writes:

But,  hey, Arche, it's the "best time for the black and white photographer!"

Actually, that's quite true - because shootinging digital I have far more
control over my b&w images, from camera to print, than I ever did or  would
using film. :-)

I'm really not understanding this statement.   I use both  film and digital,
most every day.  Not black and white usually, but even  when I was using a
wet
darkroom, I had immense control beginning with camera and  ending with
print.
 I still do, with both film and digital.

The only drawback with film, is the hour or so that it takes to get
developed.  If you look through the pictures on my web page, especially for
the last
year that I have been mixing film and digital, I'd bet most people  could
not
tell which is which.  I'll alter that to "most photographers"  will not be
able to tell them apart.

I put a good deal of time into most images I show.  Mostly I'm  cropping and
doing color management (which I would not need in BW) and dodging  and
sometimes spotting.  I don't usually clone anything in or out unless it  is
for the
sport of it.

The reason I might choose to shoot film instead of digital, is that I don't
have to think about the camera when I shoot film.  I know it as well  as I
do
anything; I concentrate on the image.   I almost always shoot  with a 35 mm
Summicron, a lens I have been using for years.  I always use  one of three
films, different speeds, but with characteristics I am familiar  with. I
shoot with
one of two identical cameras.

With digital, I am either  dependent on the awb or have to drill down  to
set
it correctly.  I have to make sure the AF is either on or off,  depending on
my needs.  I have to make sure the ISO is set right for  the conditions.   I
even have to remember to check and see if I took  the SD card out of my
computer and put it back into the camera.  Yes, that  has happened.

Mind you, I've been publishing since 1960, but it was almost always to put
bread on the table. It is the best time for this photographer, because I am
finally in a stage of life that I can choose what I want to shoot, I can
afford
some of the gear I always wanted,  my work is being recognized by  fairly
frequent publication, as well as a nice discount from the Blacktape  estate.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana