Subject: [Leica] The Joys of (Bad) Digital Photography
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jun 11 14:24:02 2006

I was just looking at Parade magazine, which comes with my Sunday
paper.  On the next to last page, there is a celebrity profile: "In Step
With Debi Mazar."  The accompanying photo is so unbelievably bad that I
can't believe it made it into a national publication.  Especially since
this was a feature, not a spot-news rush job.

When I first saw it, I thought, "this looks strange."  The I realized that
it was because Ms. Mazar's pupils looked vertical and cat-like. Then I took
a closer look and realized that both her pupils, and the catchlights in her
eyes were *rectangular.*  As in, the shape of a pixel. Aaaaaaaagh!

Somebody needs to "send in their clones" tool, or take a knife to their
sharpening algorithm.  This photo is almost in the same league as the
portrait of a haggard Tony Blair that appeared in a major publication a
while back, complete with doughnut-shaped catchlights in the P.M.'s eyes
from a ring flash.

Somebody is either unbelievably incompetent, thinks that the public is so
stupid they won't notice, or is deliberately trying to make the subjects
look bad.  Or management has cut the staff or tightened deadlines to the
point where nobody has time to do a little basic quality control.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] The Joys of (Bad) Digital Photography)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] The Joys of (Bad) Digital Photography)