Subject: [Leica] Hybrid Imaging & Printing
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Jun 11 22:53:49 2006

Thanks Tina and Walt.
Re-reading my post, I can see I wasn't clear.

I understand the channel mixer function and I use that with success to
create monochrome images from Colour originals. Especially if I have an
Ansel pretension moment (we can all dream).

Hoppy PESO moment
http://gallery.leica-users.org/analog-images/anselwannabe

Still not just for scenics, but also really good skin tone control in
portraits (different channel mixes of course).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/analog-images/Mina_BW
OMG, he's used a flash! Guilty as charged, testing out TTL off camera
functions with a Contax lead.

Colour to monochrome is the reverse of what Tina is describing.
I can see the advantage of being able to choose what the scanner has
interpreted as the RGB channels from the monochrome.

What I should have expanded on, was that I had thought this would in a very
prominent off colour (too cyan?) result in the raw scan data (I would expect
the scanner to compensate for the presumed orange mask by changing the green
and blue channel exposure)
Continuing that train of thought, I'm guessing it won't matter because you
are mixing the channels and can change to any combination that provides the
result you want, as long as the information is there. Another good reason to
always use 16 bit per channel.

After all of that fun, then the printing decisions. I'm up there with you,
Walt regarding money ploughed into Adobe pursuits! I'll check out that
author and your ink recommendation.

In any event that was just my theorising. Evidently Tina's method WORKS very
well. I need to go expose some more film and do the scanner theory/
experimentation when I'm out of light (and chores on this holiday weekend
here). Just developed some HP5 from my little Contax T3 so more fodder to
learn from there.

Thanks again
Hoppy