Subject: [Leica] Well, I am just on a roll here.....
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Jun 13 05:31:02 2006

Richard,
You should also consider storing your Xtol stock solution in an accordian
bottle at the least.  Oxygen and Xtol are not good to mix so a partially
full bottle will lead to eventual failure.  Just guessing, but I suspect
that Xtol's failure curve is not linear.  This would explain the failures.
If it was a straight line curve then with most amateur use the second roll
would not be quite so dense as the first and a careful worker would notice
and either correct practice or develop an increase time/roll count through
the developer.  But, if we assume a non linear exhaustion curve then all is
well until a certain point at which time no development takes place.

So, I would suggest extremely good darkroom/chemical practice.  Start with
distilled water or water from Portland Oregon especially Mark Rabinor's
sink.  Mix at the lowest temperature that all will go into solution and for
the shortest time with minimal stirring or at least stir with the least
foaming.  Immediately store in air tight bottles made out of material that
passes no gasses especially oxygen.  For total security acquire small brown
glass bottles that equal one typical mix. (I get along fine with a 1 gallon
and a 1 quart accordian jug)  Dilute just prior to use in distilled water
and use immediately.

The hype on distilled water is due to a fairly widespread appearance of
small nasties on negatives mixed with tap water.  From Brian's experience
Silicone Valley has suspect water for Xtol.

Xtol is a wonderful developer, but like so much of modern goods, greater
care and precision is required to make us of the improved abilities.  I
think that is why very stable developers like Rodinal, HC110, and Diafine
still sell well: they do not require quite the care in use in return for not
quite the capabilities.

Thanks for reading the novella but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

Don
don.dory@gmail.com