Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Jun 13 09:27:19 2006

I think the realities of consumer ELECTRONICS, is not quite in the public's
eye.....  Replacement is the way to go, not repair.  And
manufacturers' like it that way.....

The problem with Leica is that it is a small volume business.  Parts are
therefore also made in small volumes.  When a custom ( or
customized) IC goes dead or a custom motor has a problem, and the repair
part is no longer available, you have a door stop.  There
is no other choice.  Scavenging parts only works for a while.

I had a friend who had a big screen TV.... it cost him $4K, he had it for a
year, then threw it out when it went bad.  His new
replacement was less costly ($2700) and bigger.  Made sense to him......

Obviously not me.   I like mechanical cameras.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Gee, I wonder how many people are getting ready to sink $5K into a Leica DM
thinking that it won't be serviceable 3-5 years after they buy it...

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Digital Leica M)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) (Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M])