Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Jun 13 18:55:47 2006

Don, I follow your logic, but I think you underestimate the "custom" vs
"standard " issue.  The technology is such that today's
parts are available for only so long.....  Yes, new replacement parts are
better, but they do not fit, both mechanically nor program
wise.  This is what causes the obsolescence.

The programming issue.... the uP is programmed with a given code set.  If
the order is not large enough, you can not get them made
up the way you used to... ( Yes, some are factory or field programmable ).
But Leica is using standard parts, kind of....
Program?  Motors?  Electro-Mechanical shutter parts?  Probably all custom.
( If not they should use a Copal shutter out of a Nikon
F-Whatever)

The other problem is that repair is not part specific... it is module
repair... swap the whole board out.  Further problems with
availability.

Lastly is the bottom line... Inventory is a no-no.

I think there is shock coming to all those buying digital cameras....
replacement not repair is the way of your future.... and it
will be expensive.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Digital Leica M)