Subject: Consumerism [was RE: [Leica] Digital Leica M]
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Tue Jun 13 19:05:14 2006

Don - Economics always rules.  Thanks to largely automated production
processes it's often cheaper to build new than stock replacement
parts and repair the old.  Repair always involves labor and time.

I've followed this unfortunate path myself.  When my five-year old
dehumidifier died recently the choice was either to spend $100
minimum to repair it or $200 to buy a new, better one.  I went for
the new, just like most of us would do, but it still rankles.

There's something seriously out of whack here.

On the other hand, if my now 35-year old Maytag washer or dryer
developed a problem I'd almost certainly repair it.  There's
something inherently valuable in those machines, like our Leicas.
(Whew! Back on topic, didn't think I'd make it.  :-)  )

Dick