Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Jun 13 19:13:10 2006

Frank,
The shutter will be a standard off the shelf shutter.  Yes, most folks do
modular repair, I don't know if Leica will.  Our best bet would be a couple
of circuit boards connect by cable.  Our worst outcome would be a custom
designed flex board that wraps around everything.  But, if the chips are
standard designs then some soldering could keep things running.  Moving
parts would be the rangefinder and the shutter/motor actuater.  I am not too
concerned about the shutter nor the rangefinder.  It is the electronics that
will cause issues.  That and moving technology that may make 10 MP cameras
ho-hum in five years.

My personal belief is that the design fall out for cameras is hitting the
wall.  Some are hoping that WiFi will make the new cameras more desireable
but I just don't get that feature.  Somewhat longer zooms, better image
stabilization, longer battery life might sell some more cameras.

Perhaps Dr Yao will step out and tell us what he sees coming without
breaking any non-disclosure agreements.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com