Subject: [Leica] 24x36mm sensor for the RFDM
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jun 15 09:49:58 2006

Bob,
The proper analogy is that it is the 1930's and you have choices of medium
format and small format competing with quarter plate or 4X5.  The standards
haven't been set yet as to whether the APS-C sensors will prevail or if the
larger snesors will provide enough better quality at not too much bigger
size to win in the market place.  The first time around it took until the
late fifties for it to be mostly resolved in favor of 35mm for journalism
and 120 formats for most advertising and commercial work.  Larger formats
were and are still used but to a much lessor degree.

This time around, the medium format backs will kill the large format film
for all but the most artistic, the full frame high MP bodies will
essentially take over the routine commercial, advertising, high end wedding,
and rich doctor market.  What hasn't been resolved is how smal a sensor will
work for most PJ work and happy amatuers.  Nikon is betting on the APS-C
sensors, Canon is filling in all the markets, and Olympus and the 4/3 crowd
are betting on a smaller sensor with smaller bodies and lenses.

Now back to the digital rangefinder business.  It ultimately won't matter
what size sensor is used, as long as the viewfinder is bright, clear, and
large enough to really see through.  The frameline will tell you what is in
the image: with the exception of a few lenses such as the DR which will
become the new favorite 65mm you will just pick up a different focal length
to capture what you want.  I truly can not see the difference in whether my
favorite focal length becomes a 35mm instead of a 50 due to sensor size.
People starting out will not see the difference and people with five lenses
will not see the difference.  For those with just one or two lenses then
there will be extra expense as they may have to acquire another lens to get
back what they had.

Deep breath time.  Rollei's use a 75, my Texas Leica uses a 100, and my
Steky uses a 25mm

Picture taking time.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com