Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Jun 15 11:16:42 2006

Hi Frank,
If you look at a picture of the Epson RD1, or the CV similar Bessa
you will see how big the front viewfinder lens is. With a lens of
this size I can not see the framelines for the 42mm equivalent FOV
realised by the 28mm lens on this camera. This camera has an even
smaller sensor than that of the digital M. The widest view I can see
through this viewfinder with spectacles is the 53mm equivalent (for
the 35mm lens). Any framelines wider than the equivalent of about
50mm would be bigger than the view through a viewfinder this size for
spectacled users. The alternatives are:-
1.  use a supplementary viewfinder for all lenses with an angle of
view wider than about 50mm (as the 0,92 mag M3 finder required)
2. Make a (much) bigger viewfinder and the big top plate to go with
it - very expensive.
3. use a magnification suitable for the FOV of lenses your customers
are likely to use most.
Leica seem to have adopted solution 3. I personally consider this too
be the most sensible option.
Frank