Subject: [Leica] Self-Portratits - again?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Mon Jun 19 14:07:43 2006

Philippe Orlent wrote: This one is great, too:

http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps/slides/WhiteScott2.html

Thanks for showing,
Philippe
---------------------
Thanks for looking. Philippe, I don't usually do too much
digital manipulation, so I have mixed feelings about this one.
Here's the story behind this pic.

I was sick as a dog with the earlier stages of Chronic
Fatige (CFS, CFIDS, "ME" in many parts of the world). I
was mostly housebound, so I bought some lights to keep taking
pics indoors.

After successfully figuring out lighting ratios and what not for a
black background, I thought I'd try out Avedon style white
background pics. So I spanked a white sheet with light (you
can do it from in front or behind the sheet). This was a failed
shot, with too much power on the white sheet, so it created quite
a halo around the subject.

(I'm into using sheets instead of roll paper, because I don't think
I'll be carting wide rolls of paper in my little C-class Mercedes,
and the (still unexecuted) plan is to drive around and visit relatives
and take their pics, all in the same style).

Anyway, I was futzing around, and I up'ed the contrast on the
image.  My g'friend still liked it, and, well, the pic is the result.
Rest of the fam liked it too.

Without sounding too philosophical, prior to getting sick,
I was quite the "man on the go." I think the fam liked this
photo as a representation of the existential crisis of having
most of one's life mysteriously and suddenly truncated (career,
finances, social life, health, mobility, even personality or
"persona") by a rare and incurable disease. There's another
"mistaken" shot from the same sitting/experiment that I
somewhat humorously labeled my "official" CFS portrait.

Again, thanks!

Scott