Subject: [Leica] Dutch tilt - new photos
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Tue Jun 20 12:02:02 2006

B.D. wrote:
Edit, edit, edit. I'm struck by how good some of your street stuff is John -
really strong images that either amuse, bemuse, or confuse. But then they
are surrounded by far too many images that are simply photos of people on
the street. Any one doing serious street photography is going to have dozens
and dozens of those throw aways for each gem; the trick is to throw them
away. :-)

B. D.

On 6/20/06 11:17 AM, "John Beeching" <johnbeeching@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Some photos from my recent visit to Amsterdam.
> http://staff.bath.ac.uk/bssjrb/Photographic/dutch/dutch.htm
>
> Mostly 28mm Elmarit, one 35mm Summicron, one 90mm Elmarit.  All Tri-X
> in Xtol 1+3.
>
> Comments and criticisms welcome, as always.
>
> Thanks for looking,
>
> John

A couple of things. Great pictures, John, but overall not as powerful as
your recent 'May' posting, so in a way I'm in agreement with B.D.. Some
really terrific stuff scattered in there.
On the other hand, I tend to view what goes on here as a consensual working
space. Yesterday, and earlier this morning, I was thinking a lot about how
much crap I had building up in my galleries. I tend to post a lot more junk
than I might, in the clear light of reason, actually want to be publically
associated with. I think many of us do. And I will continue do so (B.D.,
have you taken an axe to the 'T-shots' yet? ;^)) because just airing the
damn things gives me a degree of perspective, or at least psychological
distance, that I wouldn't get letting them sit cluttering up my desktop. I
don't even need to get any feedback, its simply knowing the stuff is getting
tracked up by other people's eyes.
Winogrand, and apparently Henry Wessel, let their negs sit for a year before
looking at them in order to get that distance. Jeez, I wish I had the time
and their organizational ability (not to mention eyes, insight, and
artistry).
Meanwhile I've got a diaperload generating heat in Brian's servers. And
that's just wrong (even as imagery). What to do about it? I decided this
morning: Binge-Purge. Go about the business of posting and eliciting
criticism (next: a day at the dragstrip). But come December, and the
winding-down of '06, I'm going to streamline the year's postings down to
the, say, 10% of stuff I still think of as 'keepers'.
Does this mean I'm advocating an indiscrimate, scatter-gun approach to
selecting what gets posted? Of course not. In that, the forum is like the
marketplace: after a while nobody even looks at a product that sucks.
Generally speaking, even if I put up a bunch of images in a given post,
there are probably fewer than 8% of the total from the shoot that make that
first cut. I'm willing to bet that John shot 10x as many images in Amsterdam
as we're seeing.
So, 'edit, edit, edit'? Yes, of course, but after - not before - taking
advantage of the tool that best helps me do it.
GOYA & Shoot,
Arche

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Dutch tilt - new photos)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Dutch tilt - new photos)