Subject: [Leica] a day at the drag races
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Thu Jun 22 22:38:09 2006

Scott wrote:

> Drag racing sounds like it's one area where folks
> live in the solution and not in the problem.

A very nice way of putting it.  Yes, that's one of the
things that attracted me to the project.

> I'm curious - how many folks here feel that there
> is a "social dimension" or "activist component"
> (pick your own words) to your photographic work?

Boy... this raises a bunch of issues.  The short
answer is that the racers are aware that the track is
an unusually integrated social setting, and, when I
raise the subject, they take pride in it.  On the
other hand, they're not particularly interested in
analyzing it.

Most of the people I've gotten to know (and to whom
I've given prints) like the look of my photos and are
flattered by the fact that someone is taking them and
their sport seriously.  On the other hand, what really
makes them happy (and which I duly supply) are glossy
color photos of their cars doing a burnout or leaving
the starting line, front wheels in the air.

--John

J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

DEMOCRACY OF SPEED, a Photo Documentary Project:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html