Subject: [Leica] armed america --frustrating faults and limitations
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jun 26 16:34:37 2006

Kyle offered:
> -- and these people ended up coming out in droves to get photographed.
> but what I'm having the most difficult time getting are people who own
> guns but either don't like them, don't want them, or don't care about
> them.<<<<

Kyle,
This is more of a psychological thing. It's easy to write about, but what is
there visual? That's the problem.

Much like a project I tried during a winter many years ago....... It was to
illustrate the psychological frustration of driving in a big city during or
after a snow storm. My initial thought was... "this'll be a piece of cake
with all the crazy winter drivers we have around here!"

Heck I even got a grant for it. Yep the grand sum of $1500.00 from the
Canada Council. Like WOW! I was out in every damn snow storm day and night
trying to shoot something depicting the driver's frustration. NADA!  The
only thing it got me was an $1800. repair bill for overhauls due to melting
snow leaking into the camera bodies. :-(

Now here's the similarities to your gun folks and my drivers. It's a brain
thing. They may or may not like the gun or other negatives about guns, but
as with the drivers they hated driving and sliding in their minds..... but
how do you show that as a picture? Sure a car sliding is one thing, but that
isn't illustrating "the driver's face or what's going on in his/her mind."

The guy hating a gun, yet has it handy so to speak but doesn't want his
picture taken with it in any fashion...... What does he do to "illustrate
his feelings?"  "Stand in the living room with no gun?" That doesn't work
either.

I think your best bet is leave the non liking gun folks alone even though
they have one and press on with only those who'll cooperate with their
armoury of weapons whatever it might be.

That is, unless you intend on writing a pile of words.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4