Subject: [Leica] re: armed america
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Jun 26 17:11:25 2006

Kyle,

It's a very homogeneous universe you portray and I can't seem to
engage with it or feel that you have a sympathy with it. I have this
strange reaction that it's like the cynical narcissistic "New
Yorker"-style of fiction - obeservation with no compassion - just the
need to look.

If this is for a book then what's the point? Only pictures? An essay
with them? What? Because I'd be VERY wary of participating -  who
knows what sort of editorial stance you're going to take - or your
editor will take. "Boy, we can make these guys look like real rubes."
I'm not saying YOU are saying that but I can't believe it doesn't run
rampant through the minds of people you ask.

In addition to being almost all white it's lacking in class breadth as well.

The important thing, really, aren't the images, it's what you know
about the people inside the photos - why they have these weapons, why
they keep them, what it matters, why they chose to let you photograph
them.

I want to CONNECT with these people and I don't - the formalism in
many - proper poses of people and pets - keeps me from engaging.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] re: armed america)