Subject: [Leica] re: armed america -- not wanting your picture taken
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Tue Jun 27 08:45:36 2006

steve again sagely posited:

>further Kyle, how about those people who like them, want them, and care
about them...
>use them for good, or for bad, or don't use them at all....but don't
want to advertise these
>facts with photos, especially sitting in their living rooms... ?

i'm not so much worried about that group, you'd find that anywhere --
soccer families who don't want their picture taken, cancer survivors who
don't want their picture taken, etc. most of them are probably well
enough represented in the demographic that is already being
photographed. but what is definately getting cut off are the very top
and the very bottom, the people you've already mentioned, who are
ambivilant about their guns and don't really care to be photographed and
the people at the extreme OTHER end of the spectrum who think i am:

  a) a terrorist surveying america for the best place to launch an
attack (i kid you not)

  b) an agent of the ATF trying to create a list of gun owners, where
they live, and what guns they have

  c) in the employ of sarah brady

all of which i've run into. the scariest was the guy who thinks i'm a
terrorist. he kept threatening to call the FBI and i actually wouldn't
be suprised if they show up at my door. he was so adamant that the only
reason i could possibly be doing this was trying to find weak, unarmed,
areas of america ripe for invasion.

i am really concerned about at this point is the difficulty i've had in
convincing african americans to participate. as a group, african
americans do represent a smaller percentage of gun owners, but certianly
not to the extent that my portfolio now suggests. there's a pervasive
fear among middle class african american gun owners i've met that either
intentionally or not, they'll be portrayed as thugs. it's a whole
'nother layer of this onion to contend with.

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] re: armed america -- not wanting your picture taken)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] re: armed america -- not wanting your picture taken)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] re: armed america -- not wanting your picture taken)