Subject: [Leica] re: armed america
From: P2CON at aol.com (P2CON@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 13:37:41 2006

I think Adam pretty much says it all.  IF your pictures showed the use to
which these people put their guns it would be much more enlightening, and
perhaps
more acceptable to those living in the more repressed societies of our
world,
where only the upper class or uber-rich are allowed to own guns.  To see the
guy or gal shooting skeet targets with their Browning Citoris would be more
representative than simply having them stand in their living room holding
the
gun. Even the person who owns a gun simply for home protection probably
takes it
to a shooting range to familiarize themselves with its operation, and to
learn the rudiments of actually firing it.  A photo of that person shooting
at a
bad-guy silhouette at the target range gives the observer an idea of what
the
gun is for.  Even assault rifles are used by many for formal target
shooting,
and such a photo is much more informative than the gun owner simply holding
his
gun while petting his dog in his home.

For those not privileged to live in the USA, perhaps a photograph or two
showing the rich American, shooting driven pheasants in Spain, side by side
with
the upper class Spanish landowner where all shooters are using finely
crafted
double barrel shotguns costing some twenty to fifty-thousand dollars each.

Bottom line: there are as many reasons for owning a gun as there are people
who do.  Your photo essay should do more to show that aspect of gun
ownership.
I think the photos you have taken so far are just fodder for the gun-haters
who would like nothing more than to point to your work and say "look at
those
sociopaths hugging their guns, lets rid the country of them."

Regards, Paul Connet

In a message dated 6/26/2006 5:15:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,