Subject: [Leica] re: armed America
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jun 27 16:55:51 2006

Most of these responses to Kyle's projects remind me of what I don't like
about a goodly percentage of book reviews; they're not about the book that
was written, but rather are about the book the reviewer would have written
had her or she written the book being reviewed.

In other words, each person making suggestions is really just suggesting his
vision of what a book about people with their guns should be, and of course
in each case, that vision is influenced by how the people feel about guns.

For whatever it's worth, I'd suggest that the way to help Kyle is comment on
what he can do to improve his vision of the project - which is obviously to
produce a group of similar, set piece photographs of Americans and Their
Guns, American Gothic, if you will, but set inside the house, with farm
implements replaced with firearms. That said, should the guns be more
prominent? Should the subjects be close or further away? Should they all be
sitting or standing? Should the photos all be taken in the same room in the
house? Should Kyle use studio lighting, or available light? Should he pose
the subjects, or let them pose themselves? And so on.