Subject: [Leica] was: I have to have this, now "mediocre"
From: chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Thu Jun 29 09:24:44 2006

How bizarre.  BD's Leica portfolio alone (discounting images he's taken w/
other gear) compares strongly with any that I've seen posted on the LUG,
most of which are, by my subjective standards, at least, utterly mediocre
(and I don't exempt my own images from this class).

For instance, of the many dozens of Nocti images I've seen here over the
years, only a handful have achieved critical focus, yet the rhapsodies
ascend to heaven. Go figure.

I've always taken his comments to puncture the Leica fetishism that so often
characterizes discussions on this list, which goes well beyond the simple
affirmation that Leicas are good tools, suited well to certain jobs.

They're fun to use; they may compensate for the anomie of mass-produced
life; but, jeeze, what *can* you say a group of photographers who obsess
over whether other folk will recognize the bloody camera dangling from their
shoulder?

I should also add that I've seen many spectacular images posted here over
the years.  Doug Herr's spring to mind, though I'm not an avid viewer of
animal photographs (excepting cats, of course).  Some of Kyle's recent work
is strong. Steve Barbour has developed an engaging style, and his subject
matter is often wrenching.  And there're others.

Too much else is Hallmark style, right to the cutesy captions.

When one posts an image, one invites comment.  If one doesn't like what one
hears, then don't post.  I long ago learned to take editors seriously.  I
may not agree with their comments, but I contend with them, and it's
improved my writing tremendously, if for no other reason than it forces me
to explain why I want to say something the way I have.

Same, I think, holds true for photography.

Cheers!

Chandos