Subject: [Leica] Re: did I miss a fight?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Thu Jun 29 16:18:01 2006

On 29 Jun 2006 at 18:18, Ric Carter wrote:

> I, for one, hope it's just a vacation, like he said. We're a poorer
> place without him.

THIS I agree with.

As much as I hate to say it, I actually find myself agreeing with
Kyle.  This isn't a photo club, it's not a critique group, it's not a
seminar or a workshop, it's a bunch of people all over the world who
admire and do (or did) enjoy using a particular flavor of camera.

This is an after-five photographers' bull session, no more, no less.
(It's after five SOMEWHERE in the world, right?) The "barroom"
metaphor is overused but totally apt (including the fact that there's
usually a few people who ought to be sent home to sober up...)

And by ANY single criterion, yeah, a bunch of the stuff that's posted
is mediocre.

Because NONE of it was posted to match any one particular criterion.

When you get a bunch of photographers together, sometimes you get
art, sometimes you get stories, sometimes you get snapshots that
nobody would take a serious look at except that they're of people and
places that are of interest to other members of the group.

And because we're mostly among friends, sometimes stuff gets posted
because we're not sure if the impact of the photo outweighs its
technical or compositional or whatever faults... and the answer is
"no, it doesn't."

So BD's right, by one standard, but he's using too small a viewfinder
for this group, or maybe he just takes it too damn seriously.

Or maybe the rest of us do.

It's a big world.  Let's go make pictures.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Message from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: did I miss a fight?)