Subject: [Leica] xtol spots
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Sat Jul 1 12:47:56 2006

The spots I'm getting on Tmax 3200 are not from using a wax paper bottle
seal like I thought. I'm having the same problem with a completely new batch
of Xtol.

To recap: they look like yellow mold spots (3/4mm - 2mm in dia.) scattered
all over the wet film. On scanning the dried film they show as areas of
hyper development, the larger ones dount shaped.

I'm mixing with distilled water. I'm using kodak rapid fix with hardener,
but this wasn't a problem before. I'm mixing my 1:3 dilution in a measuring
cup that has never had anything but developers mixed in it.

Could be the film batch, but the first 4 rolls out of a box of 20 were OK.
One possiblity: actual mold? I store in the fridge, and take out 1-3 days in
advance of use. Could moisture cause mold to form in a house with AC?  What
would it look like on developed film? Its not happening with other film I
handle in the same way.

Next I'll develop a roll in D-76 and see what happens.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Arche

Replies: Reply from dstate1 at hotmail.com (Dan States) ([Leica] xtol spots)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] xtol spots)