Subject: [Leica] Jill Greenberg's Distressed Children
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Jul 6 16:28:55 2006

Ok everyone hates it, so I'll play devils advocate.

I don't have a problem with it. It's an idea, one that seems to
appeal to the gallery types. Good. No, I don't like the "waxy finish"
she puts on the pics, either. But then, I'm not buying :-)

As for the kids, well, I grew up in an "extended family." My
mom was the oldest of 5, and my youngest aunt was only
5 years older than I. Also tons of other relatives all over the
Syracuse, NY area.

I was cared for daily by my grandma with the 4 aunts/uncles
all packed into a tiny post WWII house. While I was "the baby,"
I was also the "runt" of the aunt/uncle pack, and oh the torments
- children are so, so very cruel. Thrown out naked into the snow
(Syracuse, NY), told I was going to the "funny farm," subject to
fake trances and terrorized by the "zombies" my aunt and her
friend would become. Oh yeah, my (clever but nasty) aunt would
put marks on the wall above my actual height (you know, the
marks to show you are growing), and tell me I was shrinking!!!

You get the idea.  Of course, I also knew I had a gadzillion
relatives who would and did take care of me, and I fondly
remember those times despite the childish torments.

It was a different time. I also roamed freely and explored the
neighborhoods at the ripe old age of 5. I met some scary kids -
once some older kids with bike chains about to rumble with
blacks (desegregation issues, I guess). Another older roughneck
playing basketball loudly shouted "James Dean" every time
he shot the ball - scared the hell out of me. Another group of
kids lived in a big fancy house up the hill, but saddly their parents
were raging alcholics, with attendant nasty dynamics.

But then, childhood basically sucks.  I recall being deathly
afraid of turtleneck shirts and sweaters because I thought
they would take my little head off when removed. I ate plenty
of poison berries and yummy "candy" from the medicine
chest and had my tiny little stomach pumped on many
occasions.  I was also asthmatic, and went to hospitals
frequently, having to wear the "papoose" (straight jacket) so
I wouldn't hit the nurses. My oldest aunt took me to see
"Snow White" at a drive in, but the fireworks afterwards
scrared me and kept me away from movies for quite some
time. (She later took me to Jaws with her fiance, which then
made me deathly afraid of sharks, but OTOH, I was physically
carried into the theater to see "The Sound of Music" when I
had mono - so good times, bad times).

Whatever - childhood just isn't all that much fun all the time.

My own toddler nephews seem to autonomously
alternate between laughing and sobbing about every 1/2 hour
or so. Hell, just saying "No!" at a nephew as he entertains
climbing up on a chair and fiddling with my Leicas is enough
to start a good 15 minutes of sobbing.

 From this vantage point, taking away a lollipop and snapping
a picture does not bother me one little bit.  I do  not think the
parents were in moral error. It's just not that big a deal.  I
don't care.  The children will be fine, in fact, very, very
likely better than fine if their parents are the sorts that can
afford a formal portrait from a real photographer (not Sears)
or even hang out in the "fine art photography" world.

Hard to make a buck in the photography world.  If shock
sells, then I say, deliver shock.

Got her a gallery showing - I say go for it.

Scott

p.s. OT: Oddly, I'm about to become a father, and the modern
regimen of sheltering children and coordinating their activities
with "play dates" and other structured activities I personally
think completely SUCKS.  By the age of 6 or so, I could
actually deal with adults in a somewhat mature manner,
including adults I didn't know well (because of the large
extended family and probably church back then).

The kids I meet today are, by comparison, completely
socially retarded.

My mother is gone, but my father lives only 45 minutes
away. I also have two brothers nearby. I'll be shuffling off
my little tike to these adult relatives as often as possible -
get him used to different authority figures, let him fight
with his little cousins, learn new patterns of daily life (Dad's
a vegan), learn to interact with people of different social
classes and skin colors (one bro' lives in a mostly black and
military personnel neighborhood) and so on and so forth.