Subject: [Leica] How to better appreciate different kinds/styles of photography
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat Jul 8 19:28:09 2006

Scott and Jeffery,

If you mean photogaphy in the context of contemporary art, I would check out
David Campany's "Art and Photography", Phaidon Press, 2003 (ISBN
0714842869).  It can be a challenging read, depending on your taste for
postmodern critical theory, but it's a very comprehensive survey of the ways
photography has been used to make art from about 1970 to the present.  The
text is really excellent, the presentation is handsome, and best of all (to
me) is that Campany includes a huge number of the seminal essays by others
that have defined photographic critical theory, from Walter Benjamin in
1936, to the present.  Examples of the artists included are Lewis Baltz,
Berndt and Hilla Becher, Chuck Close, Gregory Crewdson, Eggleston,
Friedlander, Gursky, Heinecken, Canida Hofer, Barbara Kruger, Sally Mann,
Mapplethorpe, Bill Owens, Gerhard Richter, Ed Ruscha, Cindy Sherman, Stephen
Shore, J-P Witkin, etc., etc.  But try to look at a copy somewhere before
you buy.  It may not be your cup of tea.  My daughter gave it to me after
using it as a textbook for a photo history course when she was getting her
BFA.  It's absolutely one of my favorite books.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] How to better appreciate different kinds/styles of photography)