Subject: [Leica] Re: How to better appreciate different kinds/styles of photographs? (Scott McLoughlin)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Sun Jul 9 08:53:47 2006

On Jul 9, 2006, Scott wrote:

> Music appreciation seems pretty mature. I have a few books
> on Jazz music that, say, might help me better appreciate the World
> Saxaphone
> Quartet or Coltrane's later recordings. How about photographs?

Scott -

Much of what I do here in Chicago involves  "jazz education;"  once a
year I teach a course that's open to non-majors in which the goal is
pretty much exactly what you've described.

Interestingly, I did a record a few years back with Rashid Ali, who
played with Coltrane during the late period you refer to, and he don't
play like that any more.  In fact, it was some of the warmest, most
sensuous & lush drumming I've experienced.

By the way, we could have a nice long (off-list) exchange about your
speculative Pat Martino lick...

Back to photography, I must say that part of what helped my
appreciation of Eggleston was just concentrating on his color sense,
which reminds me of that of a really astute interior decorator; and
does seem like it was really kindof a new thing when it hit (was this
another one of those John Szarkowski discoveries??)  In fact, this is
one reason that I'm surprised that Kyle claims not to "get" the
Eggleston thing, since one of the things I really like about his shots
strikes me as a similarly original use of color.

Bob Palmieri