Subject: [Leica] How to appreciate different kinds of photography
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun Jul 9 10:09:22 2006

Scott wrote:
Awesome, thanks!  I don't know who's cool these days,
but 20 years ago I used to read Derida, Lacan, Kristeva,
etc. for breakfast :-)

Campany references Derrida and Lacan and includes a short essay on
photography by Derrida.  But he reads much easier and sort of decodes the
pomo jargon into something reasonably transparent.  The trouble with the
book is that it's very tempting to just look at the pictures/captions and
ignore the text.  That's what I did for a few months after getting it.  But
the text is the jewel here, along with the multiple essays by other
authors/artists.  I wish I could easily post the little essay by Allan
Sekula titled "Meditations on a Triptych," in which he specualtes on the
myriad of possible social interpretations of three "snapshots" made by him
and presented as a triptych.  Or Douglas Crimp's ideas on the significance
of how photos are archived in a library (by subject category) as opposed to
a museum (by artist).  Anyway, hope you can find a copy to look through.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] How to appreciate different kinds of photography)