Subject: [Leica] Re: NYT photo editor
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jul 11 10:18:20 2006

Brian Reid said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: NYT photo editor

> Of course, it's worth noting that 80% of the newspapers that used to exist
> in the olden days have gone bankrupt and no longer exist. Perhaps  they
> should have spent a wee bit more time worrying about revenue producing ad
> space.....
>
> Remember when there were afternoon newspapers as well as morning
> newspapers?<<<<

Hi Brian,
How true, and in some big cities there were a couple of extra editions
during the day much like the "news up date" we receive on the tele.

My own feeling is, TV began the end of many news papers and magazines simply
because of the "as it's happening programming" offered rather than the next
day's news of papers.

Or in the case of some roto sections the layouts were done almost 6 weeks
before it hit the street with most of the story photo layouts general
subjects a 6 week deadline really didn't matter. TV came along with the
instantaneous moment and roto's died quicker than a round through the head!
:-(

A very sad case indeed, as many of those early roto shooters who became
"well known" photojournalists got their start shooting for roto mags and
weekly magazines.Eventually leading them to shoot for Paris Match, LIFE and
many other big photo type magazines.

ted

Replies: Reply from rhaightjr at yahoo.com (Bob Haight) ([Leica] Re: NYT photo editor)
Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: NYT photo editor)