Subject: [Leica] Re: NYT photo editor
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jul 12 07:36:17 2006

Didier Ludwig offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: NYT photo editor

ted said:
>>>My own feeling is, TV began the end of many news papers and magazines
>>>simply because of the "as it's happening programming" offered rather than
>>>the next day's news of papers.

Didier responded:
> I think the internet is even a bigger challenge for print medias. I have
> been reading at least 2 different newspapers every day, and several
> magazines a week, just as an indispensable habit, despite the concurrence
> of the television. but since the internet came, things changed definitely.
> for instance, this morning I have not found one interesting article in my
> daily newspaper (Neue Z?rcher Zeitung) that I had not read yesterday (on
> their website and on others).<<<<<

Didier,
No question, the internet has and is making a major mark in the publishing
business, newspapers, books, magazines and almost every other form of
printed matter.

I suppose the only money making way they can keep profitable is charge a fee
to enter the site as we see with some newspapers today.

Not long ago I read an article pointing out many of the sites we receive at
no cost will gradually become "pay for sites" simply because companies will
eventually have to receive some form of financial compenstion rather than
giving it away. Why?

Well someone has to be paid to enter the information to the site and most
corporations are not benevolent societies. Like you, before my morning paper
arrives at 5.30 a.m., I've already read most of the major stories off the
internet.

So it's almost asking... "Why bother paying for a subscription when I can
read it for free on the screen before the paper arrives?" That eventually
leads to, cancel subscription! And if this occurs in large numbers somebody
is going to be paying for what we read on screen sooner or later. Or the
newspaper goes belly-up. Maybe?

ted

Replies: Reply from neilsimages at pipeline.com (Neil Schneider) ([Leica] Re: NYT photo editor)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: NYT photo editor)