Subject: [Leica] digital in Africa...
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed Jul 12 18:19:00 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 5:00 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:

> A friend, departing for a trip to Africa of several weeks,  asked me
> re digital storage/transport of his photographs while there and back
> to the States...
>
> He will be shooting to compact flash cards...and wanted to transfer to
> another form of storage for safe ? keeping...

In Alaska I used the Hyperdrive HD-80 (www.hyperdrive.com) which uses
standard AA batteries, or can be powered by 110v of 12v power.  It
includes a set of rechargable AA batteries, which are charged by the
unit itself.  It can be purchaed as a complete unit or without hard
drive, which is what I did.  Any standard notebook hard drive can be
used; I had bought a unused second-hand 80GB notebook drive for it,
which worked perfectly.  Can use many kinds of memory cards, and has a
USB port & cable to transfer the pictures to the computer.  No visual
confirmation, but the unit does error checks as it copies from the
card.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com