Subject: [Leica] OT: Accounting questions - EU/US
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Jul 13 04:17:47 2006

Ok guys, here's a situation I am contemplating.

A research project I have been financed by is running out in December
2006. The wonderful University of Oslo will just dump me (54 years
old). The chances of getting a job in Scandinavia is slim at best. We
have something we call "?ldersfascism" (age facism).

So. To root the family up and move back to the US ... is not going to
happen. Rebecca claims she will move there in 2 years anyway. Simon
just might one of these days, but all such decisions will be
individual, not the family as a whole moving.

Let's say that I have contacts into the social network of the highest
ranks of the largest multinational companies in Chicago. I could use
that network to pick up some niche kind of jobs (photojournalistic
weddings, social events, etc) and charge a living wage. I have a place
to live and office space in Bartlett.

But I am not really moving.

My question:

What are the complications of having a company set up where I am now
(Sweden/EU) and accepting and invoicing jobs globally.

Taxes? Health insurance (this is why I would like to keep my base in
Sweden, where I already have health insurance. Swedish taxes are
actually less than taxes + medical insurance in the US).

Does anyone have experience with small business across borders.

My idea is to spend a few months out of the year in Chicago. That
would give me a chance to work, pay my way, and be close to the rest
of my immediate family.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] OT: Accounting questions - EU/US)