Subject: [Leica] OT: Accounting questions - EU/US
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Jul 13 06:07:22 2006

Hi Daniel,

Please don't move! I enjoy meeting you in Copenhagen once in a while :-)

Regarding the question, doing cross-border business of the type you
are contemplating is not a major problem. I know people who do it,
and many of our customers do it too. So long as you do not take on
employees in the US, things should be simple. You may need to open a
bank account over there if you don't already have one, just to make
it convenient for your customers to pay you.

The more complex issue is the taxes. You will continue to live in
Sweden, but since you are a US citizen you are taxable there on your
global income (that has always been the case). Of course until now
this has been somewhat optional ;-) but now that you will have income
there, it becomes more relevant, and you get into things like foreign
tax credits, the 180-day presence tests and so on. For this piece I
really think you should take advice from an accountant in Sweden who
is familiar with US tax rules. I am sure there are plenty of those,
to serve the expat community.

Contact me off-list for further detail.

Nathan